Friday, July 19, 2013

Garden-Fresh Gazpacho


When I think of Gazpacho soup, I think of salsa. That's basically what it is, or at least a variation of it made with cucumbers. Funny thing for me, it's the middle of summer and it's hard for me to say something is a soup that is served cold. In my mind, soup conjures thoughts of cold nights curled up with a steaming bowl of soup to ease away the day and settle into the long nights of fall and winter. I imagine throwing together leftovers and root vegetables into a big pot to create a piping hot bowl of comforting soup. Oh, how I miss the cooler weather and all the satisfying soups to make...I'm daydreaming for seasons yet to come...probably because I'm already planning my fall recipes and activities. Or maybe it's that I'm going through soup withdrawal since I haven't made or posted a soup since winter. Yeah, it's probably a little of both. 
So to cure my soup withdrawal, I'd searched for a summer style soup to post and I found this classic summery Gazpacho soup from my 'go to' magazine, "Cuisine at Home". Until I came across this recipe, I admit, I'd never made Gazpacho or tasted it before. Surprise! It's delicious and refreshing and didn't heat up the house.  I served this soup along with some Italian meatball sub-sandwiches. My husband actually dipped his sub sandwich into it and ate the sandwich and soup like it was chips and salsa. It was super delicious and a great way to use up all those summer tomatoes from your garden and you can enjoy it the next day with a bag of tortilla chips too. Enjoy! 


Garden-Fresh Gazpacho (recipe from Cuisine At Home, May/June 2013)
Serves 4 (1 cup)

2 cups grape tomatoes. (I used red and yellow grape tomatoes, but you can substitute grape tomatoes with any variety of tomato.)
1 cup seeded and coarsely chopped cucumber
1/2 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
5 tsp. sherry vinegar
2 cloves garlic
1 slice white sandwich bread, crust removed, torn into pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

Pulse tomatoes. cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, oil, vinegar, garlic and bread in a food processor until pureed; season with salt and pepper.
Transfer soup to a bowl and chill at least one hour. Serve. 
If desired, garnish with additional cucumber, bell pepper and onion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment