Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dill Pickles





I remember my Dad making pickled cucumbers was when I was a kid, maybe 9 years old. We had a garden in our backyard and we had a ton of cucumbers one summer and my Dad wanted to try to make pickles. I remember they were really limp and not crunchy at all. The flavor was there but they just didn't have the right texture. With that not so perfect pickle experience long behind me, I attempted to make my own pickles and have good news! Or as my 5 year old says when something good happens, "Lucky Day!" 

I stumbled on the best most perfect homemade pickle recipe out there. (courtesy of the blog At Home My Way via Pinterest) They taste just like Clausen Dill Pickles, crunchy and garlicky. The best part of this recipe is that there is no canning involved. You can put them in glass canning jars like I did but you don't have to. You can put them in a large plastic container with a lid. The cucumbers aren't heated so you won't get soggy limp cucumbers. In fact, they were so good, my kids ate the two big jars pictured above in two days. I keep the small jar of pickle slices way in the back of the fridge hidden so they can't get at them. :)  

Initially, what got me to try this recipe was that I got a really good deal on Persian cucumbers, 2 lbs for a dollar and a large bunch of fresh Dill also for a dollar. See aren't they beautiful? I knew my family couldn't eat this many before they went bad so when life gives you and abundance of cucumbers at a really great price, make pickles!
Dill Pickles (slightly adapted recipe from At Home my Way)

  • 2 pounds Persian cucumbers, (sliced, quartered or halved..I made all of these)
  • 1/3 cup dried minced onion
  • 6 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1/2 T mustard seeds, (I used pickling spice)
  • 6 heads of fresh dill
  • 1 1/2 quart water
  • 2 cups cider vinegar (I used regular vinegar)
  • 1/2 cup canning salt (do not use regular salt, used canning salt)

In a large pot, add onion, garlic, mustard seeds (or pickling spice), dill heads, water, vinegar and canning salt. Bring to a boil to dissolve salt and let cool.
As pickling brine is cooling prep cucumbers. 

Starting with the right cucumber is the most important step. Use pickling cucumbers or thin skinned cucumbers like Persian or English. The waxy ones you get for salads are not good candidates for pickling. The skin is just too tough. 
Wash and slice cucumbers lengthwise into spears or halves or slices like so.

Place cucumbers in large canning jars or a deep plastic container with tight fitting lid. Add a few sprigs of fresh dill to the jars.


Once pickling brine is cooled, pour over cucumbers, making sure to add the pickling spices and garlic to each jar (I actually removed the wilted Dill at this point and added fresh dill to the cucumbers). Top off with brine and cover with lids. 

The recipe called for letting the pickles sit on the counter for three days and then refrigerate overnight. Turning the jars up-side-down a few times a day over the three days.
I actually put them right in the refrigerator and let them pickle in there for three days...and Ta Da!  Delicious!



I used these delicious pickles in my Mom's Macaroni Salad which is a regular dish for all our summer BBQ's. Keep a look out for the upcoming blog for her recipe. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment