Thursday, April 4, 2013

Heath Bar Cookies



I was in need of a sugar boost real quick yesterday. I don't bake that often, at least I don't bake desserts, so I wanted something easy and remembered my mom's Heath Bar Cookies recipe. This is one of my mom's tried and true recipes from her collection she put together many years ago and gave to her daughters for Christmas. I affectionately call this cookbook, 'Mom's book'.(I'm not sure where she got the original recipe, since she didn't note the source. So apologies for not crediting the originator, if you happen to know it please send me a note) 

This recipe is super easy and only has 4 ingredients: Saltine crackers, butter, sugar and chocolate chips. Can't be any simpler...well unless you go to the store and buy a Heath Bar, that's probably the simplest. But anyway, if you want a super rich and decadent dessert, this cookie is it. Although called cookies, they are more like candy really. Make them for a crowd because you will need to share these, they are that rich and simply delicious!

Heath Bar Cookies

Makes 35-40 cookies depending on where they break. 

1 sleeve of saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
6 oz. chocolate chips (I used the mini chips)


Preheat to 350 degrees.



Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and line with a single layer of saltine crackers.
 Bring butter and sugar to a boil.
 
Pour over saltines and smooth out toffee to cover each saltine.
 
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it to ensure the sugar doesn't scorch.
Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. (Excuse the bloom on my chocolate chips, you can tell I don't bake much. The white appearance is caused by the cocoa butter separating and moving to the surface. Although unsightly, it's completely edible and can be removed by simply heating the chocolate. So... I put mine back in the oven to heat up the chips a bit to remove the bloom from my chocolate chips)
Let sit to cool enough to put in the refrigerator and refrigerate until firm. Break into cookies and eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment