Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Halloween Decorating 2016


I know I say this every year but... I LOVE HALLOWEEN!  I plan all year for Halloween and spend countless hours creating delicious Halloween food and festive decorating ideas. My Halloween recipes don't just look creepy for the sake of creepiness, they have to pass the taste test! Every recipe has to be food that I'd eat even without all the ghoulish stage presence. Taste reigns supreme for any meal, but fun Halloween food also has to have a proper stage when you entertain. So let's set the stage shall we...and start in the heart of my home, the dining room.

I went with a laboratory theme this year with lots of glassware, bottles, flasks, test tubes, books and skulls. Many of these items are meaningful to me because they remind me of my dad. My dad was a voracious reader. He literally had thousands of books...and I'm not exaggerating! In fact, I still have a few boxes of his books left in my garage and I pulled out some to use for my decorating this year. :) I used all black and white books for the sideboard but used red books on the dining room table as contrast and to tie in my red salad plates. I love the way it turned out, don't you? With a table this pretty, we need a menu
 'BONE' APPETIT MENU
Appetizer

Salad
 
Main Course

Dessert

In this picture above, the very thick 1942 Websters Dictionary underneath the large red book is mine from when I was a young girl of about 8. I bought that dictionary for 25 cents at a used book sale with my dad. My dad loved to spend weekends going to used book stores and library sales and often dragged us kids along. Most times, I was bored to death, but this trip, I found something I wanted. I remember his face so clearly. He was grinning ear to ear watching me lug that hulking book up to him. The thing weighs probably 15 pounds. I said, "Look at this huge dictionary for only 25 cents! Can I get it Daddy?" 
...Nearly 40 years later and I still have it.


Sideboard

The sideboard was really fun to decorate. From my dad's old chemical bottles and glass lantern, to my test tubes, graduated cylinder and Erlenmeyer flasks; All my dad's beautiful old books and my candles and silver trays, together looks amazing! It took me two days of moving, rearranging, and swapping items until I got the layout just right. 


Cocktail Area

I re-purposed my old skull topiary from two years ago to set the stage for the small cocktail area. I pulled out my old silver, aluminum and stainless trays and layered them in my plate rack to create a cool backdrop for the bar area that adds to the antiquated feel of the room. I added decanters and flasks that will later be filled with potions and elixirs on Halloween night. Cheers!


Lighting


I purchased these plastic skulls from Michael's and cut holes in the top and bottom of them and slipped them over my dining room chandelier for a way cool look. (Don't worry, they are made with a pretty hard plastic so they don't melt when near the hot bulbs...I was worried too!) I ended up using the natural skulls in my dining room because I thought they went better with the overall look of the table and sideboards. But my original plan was to use the gray skulls with draping, gauzy, creepy cloth hanging down from the light fixture like this.

I love how these came out, however, they just didn't go as well as the natural skulls with my table and sideboard. The natural skulls glow and add a eerie light to the room. 
But not to fear, I already have a great idea on my theme for next year and I'll definitely use the gray skulls next year. :)












Crafting Ideas

Raven Wreath

I like to make a new wreath each year and I was inspired by these black and white leaves from Michael's. They went perfect with my black and white theme. The wreath itself is very camouflaged and you may not be able to see very well, but if you look closely, you will spot 5 ravens and many spiders hidden within the black foliage. See if you can spot them.

Halloween Angel Topiaries

I started these beauties last year when I borrowed the idea from AntiCraft on Pinterest. Luckily, I never got around to finishing them last year, because they completely work with my theme of black and white and skulls of this year. These little angels of death are made from old Christmas angels that were spray painted black and turned into skeletons. I painted their faces and the bones of their hands and necks and gave them spots of color and silver wash to give them texture. 
Rather than leaving them free standing, I decided to give them their own little vignettes by making them into topiaries. I designed each based on the angels themselves and then made up little stories about each. I think they turned out great and I may even host a give-away when I open my Etsy Shop for some of my Halloween creations. I'll keep you all posted when that happens.  :)

Mother Nature stands the tallest and is the most powerful as she presides over life and death. In this case, death with a bonfire of skulls at her feet. I included battery operated orange lights to really light the bonfire.


Battle Rose stands among swirling rose bushes that echoes the movement of her gown and her hair;All while the casualties of love lie at her feet. 


Pushing Daisy stands alone in a cemetery over the body of her beloved, who even in death, cultivates love in the flowers that grow around his grave. 


Freyja stands alone among skeletal trees and thorny bushes, as she looks with no luck, for her one true love.  


And that is all for this year. I hope it was inspiring!  
HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

Check out more Halloween decorating ideas here:
Halloween Decorating and Entertaining Ideas 2013
Halloween Decorating 2014
Halloween Decorating 2015

And more Halloween Food ideas here.

6 comments:

  1. I love Halloween, too, and your decorations are over the top! How much fun it must be to experience your home in October. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm so glad you enjoy them. Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  2. I would love to see your Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please visit me at https://www.etsy.com/shop/ghoulatheartboutique anytime.

      Lori

      Delete
  3. Great. I love all the ideas. I. going to go buy some skulls for my Chandler!!!

    ReplyDelete