Thursday, March 23, 2017

Smoked Paprika Grilled Chicken Quinoa Bowl

I've walked my neighborhood nearly everyday for the last 15 years. Weaving up and down the many streets that make up my neighborhood. I've shared hellos and good mornings with neighbors I don't know by name, although I feel like I do, because the recognition is familiar and immediate, despite not having moved beyond simple courtesies. 
I walked every day during each of my pregnancies. An elderly neighbor watched me transform through her kitchen window, from a young woman into a mother as my belly grew and my life morphed into strollers, diapers and endless responsibilities. Always greeting me with a warm friendly smile and conversation as I passed her house. She still asks how old my kids are now when i spy her in the window.  
I witnessed a neighbor's house burn down and agonized for them as I imagined them losing all their photos and memories. A lifetime. I also quietly celebrated as they rebuilt their house into a gorgeous expanse of a home, like the Phoenix rising from the ashes, ready to live again.  
I've watched as neighbors' houses get sold and new families move in. 
I've watched elderly neighbors' homes go up for sale when they pass on. Their children left to pick through the memories of their childhood and their parent's lifetime... It;s part of life. 
 

Last week, I noticed crowded streets parked with unfamilar cars and estate sale signs littering the lawn of a corner house. I was sad when I realized one of my elderly neighbors, a woman, had passed on. I never knew her personally but rather I noticed her throughout my living in our little neighborhood. She was the elderly woman who loved to garden her front yard. Not all that notable on the face of it, but this woman would garden with her walker. Nothing could stop this woman from gardening, not even old age or not being able to walk unassisted. I admired this woman so much. She reminded me of my Danish grandmother who after double hip replacement surgery was up on a ladder painting the eaves of her home, by herself. This neighbor, like my grandmother, was unstoppable.  As I watched her children directing what was for sale and tending to the crowd I was sad knowing she was gone. A part of me wished I knew her beyond the window of my car so that it wouldn't be so strange for me to mourn the death of a woman I never knew. Rest in Peace Gardening Grandma. 
 
I guess I'm feeling a bit aware of how short life is and how meaningful interactions are even with strangers. Take care of yourself and always be kind to those you meet. Also...Live. Love. Laugh. And eat good food!   xo

(Thinking of you Daddy! Happy birthday!) 

Smoked Paprika Grilled Chicken Quinoa Bowl

Serves 4 

Smoked Paprika Vinaigrette and Marinade
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, finely 
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp honey
salt and pepper (to taste)

2 Chicken Breasts
1 avocado, sliced
4 cups baby spinach

Prepare vinaigrette and set aside half for the salad. Use the other half to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes while the vegetables roast. Grill chicken and slice.

Roasted Veggies
1 yellow onion, quartered and separated
1 small red bell pepper, sliced
1 small orange bell pepper, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
broccoli stems, sliced
olive oil, salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Prepare vegetables and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 450 degree oven for 30-45 minutes. Time will vary depending on thickness of veggies. Keep warm and set aside.

Garlic and Cilantro Quinoa
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups chicken stock or water
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper (to taste)
 Add olive oil and chopped onions to medium saucepan and cook until onions are soft but not browned. Add quinoa and chicken stock. Add garlic and cook according to package directions. salt and pepper to taste and add chopped cilantro before serving.


Assemble bowl. Add spinach, quinoa, roasted vegetables, chicken and avocado and drizzle with Smoked Paprika Vinagrette. Enjoy!

Other recipes to try:
Red Quinoa Veggie Spring Rolls

Sweet Chili Lime Tofu w/Quinoa
Quinoa with Balsamic Mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment