Saturday, May 18, 2013

Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter



I made this dish a few weeks ago and feel silly that it has taken me so long to write about it. With my husband and kids at a cub scouts camp-out today, I raced to my computer to write. But now, after the week I've had, I'm glad I was delayed in writing this one. Now it seems like the perfect comforting dish to blog about and to make again this weekend to ease my weary soul. 

My week was full of kids activities and play dates and cub scout camp-out planning and PTA this and that. Underneath all the 'doing' this week, I'm exhausted from worry for my 13 year old dog, Lucy. She got hit by a car last Friday night and had me on the worry train all week. No broken bones or internal bleeding which was a miracle in itself. A bruised liver and an abrasion over her left eye was what she was left with, which has been incredibly painful for her. So, it has been a week already and she is steadily improving. She's still in pain but seems to be resuming her old routines; eating, drinking, pooping and sleeping more comfortably. 
The first few nights she was home with us, I slept on the couch with her next to me on the floor because she was having such difficulty getting up, labored breathing, pain, etc so I was awake often those nights. I know I was worried and half expecting the worst outcome. So now that she seems to be on track and on the road to recovery, I can breathe a little easier. And I've even slept through the night in my own bed. My heart is a little lighter but I still feel drained by the whole ordeal. So what better way to be gentle with yourself, and ease the anxiety after experiencing a week of helpless worry. Pasta!  Specifically, Penne Pasta with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter.

This recipe from foodandwine.com is super simple and utterly delicious. The balsamic vinegar is simmered and reduced to about 3 tablespoons which mellows it out so beautifully. You are left with decidedly balsamic flavor but without the pungent notes you get from vinegar. Then add some sugar and a 1/2 cup of real butter and a ton of roasted Asparagus...oh Man...the perfect dish. The recipe on the link also suggests some variations of this using roasted broccoli instead of or in addition to the asparagus. Luckily, I have both asparagus and broccoli on hand, so I'll give it a try and make a Asparagus and broccoli version of this tomorrow night. Enjoy!



Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter (recipe from  foodandwine.com)

1 lb asparagus ( I used 2 lbs of asparagus)
1 T olive oil
2 t salt
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup plus 2 T Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 t brown sugar
1 lb Penne Pasta
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Snap tough ends off the asparagus and discard them. Cut spears into 1-inch pieces. Put the asparagus on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil and 1/4 t each of the salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, put the vinegar in a small saucepan. Simmer until only 3 T remain. Stir in the brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 tsp pepper.  Remove from heat.

Cook Penne in a large pot of boiling, salted water until just done, about 13 minutes. (or check time on box, I had to cook mine a little bit longer.) drain pasta and toss with the butter, vinegar, Asparagus, Parmesan and remaining salt. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment