Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ham, Cheddar and Onion Scones

Well, we seem to only get a slight taste of fall these days here in Southern California. We feel it in the early mornings and at dusk when the air finally feels like it should, breezy and cool. Cool enough that you need a sweater or a light jacket. The shorter days seem to help with the fall feel, but for the most part, the days are still very warm. I must admit it's been hard to stay in my fall cooking mood and I'm feeling anxious because of it. I feel like I'm missing something, forgetting something important and running out of time. I'm home today, no volunteering at school, no PTA activities, no errands to run, no doctor's appointments, just me sitting here at my kitchen desk writing and planning my next few dishes. Today, I plan on making two dishes that I hope turn out well enough to blog. Fingers crossed, that I can relieve my anxiousness with some comfort food cooking. :) 
Tomato Garlic Soup with Cheese Tortellini
Last week, I did get a chance to make some soup and these wonderful savory scones. I found this recipe on Pinterest. I was looking for an easy bread to make that didn't require any rising time, like yeast breads do. These were savory, cheesy and dense and not to mention super quick and easy to make. They were the perfect side to the Tomato Garlic Soup with Tortellini I made along with them and perfect for the (soon-to-be) cool fall days ahead here in sunny California. Enjoy!


Ham, Cheddar and Onion Scones  (recipe from a beautiful bite)

3 cups flour
1T baking powder
1 t salt
8 T butter, room temperature
1 cup plus 1 T milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup Canadian bacon, diced
1/2 a medium onion, diced (~1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter using a pastry blender (see picture) or fork.
Add milk and mix until just incorporated. Fold in ham, cheese and onion. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently for several minutes.
Press dough into a 1 1/2 inch thick circle and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. (I added additional cheese to the top before baking) Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.





I love scones!


No comments:

Post a Comment