Monday, June 22, 2015

Spicy Carrot and White Bean Hummus



I was inspired to make a version of Spicy Carrot Hummus after I grabbed this small snack from the store one day. (see picture below) I was hungry but didn't want too much to eat and it sounded amazing...Zesty Sriracha Carrot Hummus! What's not to like, right? I was super excited to try it. 
It had great texture and the carrot flavor was prominent but overall it was a bit too sweet for my taste with very little "zest". I wanted more zest from the Sriracha. Anyhoo, all was not lost to the experience because I was inspired to make my own and spice it up.

For my taste, it definitely needed some heat but it also need a strong flavor to complement the sweetness of the carrots so I added Garam Masala to give the carrots some depth and let me tell you it was amazing. 
I've made this a few times now, the first run through was great with layers of flavor, from the carrots, tahini, lime, cilantro and the Garam Masala with a little heat at the finish. My husband LOVED it.  
The next time, I jacked up the heat by not only adding Sriracha, but also cayenne and red pepper flakes. Amazing! The hotter the better I say. This recipe is really great hot but you can adjust to your taste if you prefer it milder.

Spicy Carrot and White Bean Hummus

1- 1 1/2 cup cooked carrots
1- 14 oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup Tahini, sesame paste
1 T water
1 clove of garlic, chopped
juice of one lime
1/2 cup of cilantro leaves

1-3 T Sriracha sauce (to taste)
1/8 tsp. Garam Masala
red pepper flakes (to taste, I used about 1/4 t) 
cayenne pepper (to taste, I used about 1/8 t)
kosher salt (to taste)
Garnish with chopped cilantro

In a food processor, combine Tahini, water, garlic, beans, cooked carrots, lime juice and blend on high until smooth. Add Garam Masala, cilantro, Sriracha to boost color and add spiciness, add cayenne, red pepper flakes. Add salt to taste. Garnish and serve with pita chips or fresh veggies. Enjoy!
 
Other Appetizers to try:
Homemade Hummus and Pita Chips           Fried Chickpeas                          Moroccan Carrot Dip



Spicy Carrot and White Bean Hummus would be great on my Veggie Sandwiches too!

No comments:

Post a Comment