Thursday, September 1, 2016

Auntie Dianne's Pea Salad

As summer winds down and the kids head back to school, I can't help but feel a little sad that the long hot days of summer are a thing of the past. Another summer is in the books, so to speak. Our fun memories were made and forever imprinted in our minds. So why do I feel sad? I should feel great, because the kids are back in school and they love it so far! I should feel great because we're right on the cusp of my favorite season, FALL! 
Maybe sad isn't the right word, but more like regretful because it's an ending. When summer comes to an end, I always feel a little regretful because I think, maybe I didn't do enough with my kids this summer. Maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. Maybe I was too preoccupied with other things to really live in the moment...to feel grateful and at peace. I certainly didn't do all that I had planned to do this summer, but as I'm turning 47 next week, I know all too well that, time waits for no one. Anyway, I need to let go of all this regretful thinking and realize I did all I could this summer and that is enough and that is okay.
I decided to end my summer recipes with my Auntie Dianne's Pea Salad. It is simple and super delicious and can be made a day ahead for your Labor Day weekend BBQ. My aunt usually serves this in a large glass salad bowl, but I thought it would be fun to layer them and serve in individual mason jars. Mix well before serving and enjoy
 

Auntie Dianne's Pea Salad

Serves 4
 
2 cups frozen baby peas,
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 green onions, chopped

salt/pepper (to taste)
1/4 t celery seeds
4 cups of iceberg lettuce (I used Romaine)
4 T lite mayonnaise, divided
1 cup cheddar or cheddar/jack cheese, shredded
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled 

In a medium bowl, combine peas, celery, green onions, salt and pepper and mix together
Layer in mason jars or in a glass salad bowl.

1. Add about 1/2 cup of the pea mixture to the bottom of a mason jar. Sprinkle some celery seeds over top. 

2. Layer about 1 cup Romaine lettuce on top of pea mixture.
3. Spoon about 1 T of mayonnaise on top of lettuce layer.

4. Using the back of a small spoon, carefully spread mayonnaise on top of lettuce as if icing a cake.
5. Sprinkle and cover mayonnaise with 1/4 cup cheddar or cheddar/jack cheese.
6. Sprinkle top with crumbled bacon.
 

Place lids on Mason Jars and chill until ready to eat. Toss when ready to eat. 


Other Salads to try:
        
Summer Fruit Salad with Ginger and Lime
Zucchini Ribbon Summer Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment