Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sour Cream Granola Cookies

Every once in a while I get a bug to bake. It's not too often but, the other day I wanted to make some cookies. So, I anxiously ran to my cupboard and realized I didn't have any chocolate chips. Total. Bummer. 
Instead, I had a half eaten box of Granola cereal. Yum! I grabbed a handful and what do you know...Still crunchy! Yay!
I continued to eat it as I rummaged through my pantry. Still nothing chocolatey appeared. Then, I remembered these chocolate chip cookies my friend, Sonia made one time. They were amazing! She said she added granola to them. I thought, well I don't have the chocolate but, maybe I can make a type of Oatmeal Cookie with them. I grabbed my Betty Crocker cookbook and started looking for recipes to convert with my granola cereal. Boom! Found it...Sour Cream Raisin Cookies became Sour Cream Granola Cookies. These turned out really soft and moist and not too sweet.  Enjoy!

Sour Cream Granola Cookies

Makes 4 dozen

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups plain granola + extra for topping
1 cup golden raisins

Vanilla Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2-1 tsp milk (to desired consistency)

Mix all icing ingredients together until you have a thin icing that ribbons when poured from a spoon. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a stand mixer, mix sugar, shortening, vanilla and eggs. Add remaining ingredient except granola and raisins. Stir in the granola and raisins by hand.

Using a small cookie scoop, drop small rounded teaspoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Top with extra granola. 

Bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating half way through cooking time, until light brown. 

Cool slightly and transfer to a rack to cool completely. Drizzle with vanilla icing.

Other recipes to try:


Lemon Butter Cookies
Blueberry White Chocolate Chip
Cinnamon Cheesecake Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment