Sunday, November 19, 2017

Baked Chicken with Onion Pancetta Gravy

I love to stay home. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love being at home to piddle around my house working on a project or cooking in the kitchen. When I was younger and single it was fun to go out and meet up with friends and stay out all night. I was rarely home back then. Now it's nice to get home after a long day and just be at home and have something delicious and comforting to eat. I made this dish one weekend while trying to decide what to do with some leftover pancetta I didn't use for our Halloween party. I had three containers of pancetta to use up. I used one with some Cream of Mushroom Soup and it was absolutely delish. I plan to use one of them for Thanksgiving so I had one left to contend with. At the same time though, I got a new cast iron braiser that I was dying to break in and cook something up. Something slow and wonderful to roast, bake or braise. So I created these Baked Chicken Thighs with the most amazing Onion Pancetta Gravy. I will say, that this is one of the most delicious chicken dishes I have ever tasted. I'm not kidding. This is an amazing recipe if I do say so myself. I am super duper impressed with myself on this one. Plan to stay in tonight and give this recipe a try. I promise you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!

Baked Chicken with Onion Pancetta Gravy

Serves 6

6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
flour salt and pepper for dredging
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 cups chicken broth
4 oz pancetta, diced
1 Tbsp butter
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup Gruyere cheese
fresh thyme leaves (garnish)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Dredge Chicken thighs in flour salt and pepper and set aside. Heat oil in a large cast iron dutch oven or braiser and working in batches, brown top side of chicken thighs only and set aside on a plate. 
Deglaze pan with chicken stock removing bits and flour from bottom of dutch oven/braiser. Pour chicken broth(deglazing liquid) into another pot to reserve for a second deglazing. 
In the now empty dutch oven/braiser, brown pancetta and render fat. Spoon out cooked pancetta onto paper towels.  Add sliced onions and butter to the rendered pancetta fat and cook onions until they are nicely caramelized.
Pour reserve chicken broth into onions and deglaze the pan a second time. Add garlic, cooked pancetta, and dried thyme to the pan.  
Roll chicken thighs up like they have bones and place thighs in the pan browned side up and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from oven, top with cheese and place under a broiler until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and Eat!


Other Chicken recipes to try:

Chicken with Braised Carrots
Honey Butter Chicken
Easy Ranch Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment