Saturday, June 29, 2013

Peanut Butter Pound Cake with Chocolate Ganache


I'm not much of a baker. Not to say that I can't bake well, it's just that I don't bake that often outside the holidays. But the other day, I was in the mood to bake. It's probably because I'm already working on my fall blog ideas. I'm having a great time developing some fun Halloween recipes and organizing my 'go to' fall dishes. I love fall! It's my favorite season. Fall is like Christmas to me but better because it's three months long. Pumpkins, Halloween, Thanksgiving, comfort food, the house smelling of slow cooked meals, hearty soups, roasted root vegetables, cool weather, shorter days, fall leaves and football. I love fall and it makes me feel all warm and squishy inside just thinking about it. I seriously can't wait! 
But...I do realize it's the beginning of summer and I must live in the moment and enjoy the summer months as well. I'm loving the long days, warm evenings, hanging out at the beach, swimming with my kiddos, picnics, play dates, flip flops, shorts and tank tops, grilling and eating all the wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables that are in abundance throughout the summer months. Super fun and delicious food! 
However, I think it's okay to have a little diversion from the summer heat. One that inspires daydreams of cooler weather and comforting foods like this sweet dessert. I threw caution to the wind and baked this early one morning before the day heated up. I'm so glad I did because this pound cake was divine! ...'Save it', 'Pin it', 'Bookmark it' as this is one recipe to try when the weather cools. Peanut Butter Pound Cake with Chocolate Ganache! Need I say more? Enjoy!



Peanut Butter Pound Cake (recipe from glimmertwinfan.hubpages.com)

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup peanut butter
5 eggs, room temperature
1 T vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1 cup milk

Chocolate Ganache (below)
Chopped peanuts, for garnish


  • Preheat the oven to 325°. Prepare a large tube or bundt pan by greasing and flouring it. Set pan aside. Note: This recipe makes a large cake made with a large tube pan. For average sized bundt/tube pans fill up about 3/4 full. Don't let the extra batter go to waste though, make some muffins or a small loaf.
  • In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
  • On medium speed, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the brown sugar and peanut butter and continue mixing. Add the eggs, one at a time. Wait until one egg is fully mixed in before adding the next one. Add vanilla.
  • Add the dry ingredients and the milk to the creamed mixture. Alternate between the flour mixture and the milk, using about a fourth of the ingredient at a time. Always begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix completely.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60 - 70 minutes. Start 
    checking to see if it is done at 60 minutes using a wooden toothpick. Continue checking every 5 minutes to make sure it does not overcook. When the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. Note: When baking in an average-sized bundt/tube pan, fill pan about 3/4 full and then bake at 325 for approximately 55 minutes. Because I had extra batter, I also baked some muffins and they took about 20 minutes to bake.
  • Remove from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then remove it from the cake pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
  • Dust with powdered sugar or frost as desired.

Chocolate Ganache

6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1 cup heavy cream

Place chocolate pieces into a medium bowl and set aside. Heat cream in small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Watch carefully to ensure you don't scorch the cream. Remove from heat and add hot cream to chocolate, let sit for about 5-10 minutes to melt the chocolate. Whisk until fully melted and incorporated. Let cool completely or place in the refrigerator to cool. Pour or ladle over pound cake to coat. Top with chopped peanuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment