Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Quinoa with Balsamic Mushrooms, Onions and Pine Nuts

This is one of those dishes I made one day on the fly with what I had on hand and it turned out super delicious. I love quinoa, it is one of my new favorite foods, but for what ever reason I don't make it that often. Maybe it's because my kids are becoming quite picky and I try not to introduce too many of my creations to them too often. I still make spaghetti, chicken, meatloaf and tacos and all the kid-friendly meals each week to ensure they are fed and all. But sometimes, I want to eat what I like and I make it for all of us and that includes the kids. (All I ask is that they try it before they judge it. Is that too much to ask?) I made this dish one afternoon while they were at school and when I brought them home, my oldest son said as we walked through the door, "I want to eat whatever that smell is." I was so happy he liked the smell of it, but I knew...once he got a look at the mushrooms and all that brown stuff my child would not be eating any of this great smelling and tasting side dish. As expected, he was horrified that this brown, mushroom-laden dish could possibly smell so good, he snubbed it and unhappily walked away. I tried to get him to taste it, but it was no use. In this case, the book cover was not helping with the great story inside. sigh* So back to the drawing board with my kiddos, but for those brave adults who want a super flavorful side dish, this is your dish. The earthiness of the mushrooms and thyme, coupled with the sweetness of the balsamic vinegar, quinoa and the onions make for a perfect fall side. I even topped my salad with it the next day and it was delicious. Enjoy!



Quinoa with Balsamic Mushrooms, Onions and Pine Nuts
Serves 6

1 cup dry Quinoa
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 t. dried thyme
2 packages baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 small yellow onion, chopped (~1/2 cup)
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 T olive oil
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts
fresh thyme leaves, garnish

Place quinoa, chicken broth and dried thyme in a medium saucepan, cover and cook according to package directions. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare your vegetables. In a large saute pan on medium high heat, add onion, mushrooms, garlic, and olive oil and lightly saute the vegetables for about 2 minutes. 

   
After the two minutes, add the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and continue to saute the mushrooms and onions until they are soft and all the moisture released from the mushrooms has evaporated about 5-8 minutes longer.



Add the pine nuts to the pan and then transfer the mushrooms mixture into the prepared quinoa and mix until, evenly combined. Top with fresh thyme and additional pine nuts. Serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment