Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tortilla Dressing

With only a few days before Thanksgiving, I'm now undecided about what side dish I'm going to bring to my brother's house for Thanksgiving. My brother and sister-in-law host Thanksgiving each year so up until this afternoon, I was all set to make this delicious Tortilla Dressing. I made it today as a trial run to the big day and also so I could take photos of it for the blog. After a conversation with my mom, (granted, I already knew she was bringing mashed potatoes and stuffing) but I belatedly realized that two stuffing/dressings may not be such a great idea. Especially since my mom makes great stuffing. :)
Sooo...It turns out I'm not going to make this for my family this Thanksgiving but I can still blog this delicious and decidedly different Thanksgiving dressing. I love the Latin spices and chilies in this dish and of course all the corn elements. It's perfect with the fried corn tortillas, the sweet corn bread from the stuffing mix and then of course the sweet white corn kernels. Top it with some turkey gravy or even some salsa and you have a whole new Latin inspired Thanksgiving dressing. Imagine this along side a fried turkey? Yum!! 

...As for the side dish I'm supposed to bring to my brother's house, well I'm leaning towards a green bean casserole or a vegetable gratin. Just in case you were worried. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

**Also, this would be a great main dish, a Chicken Tortilla Casserole by adding shredded chicken and cheese. See below for a great main dish variation. 



Tortilla Dressing 
(adapted recipe from Taste of Home Magazine-Thanksgiving Recipes 2011)
Serves 8

9 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
canola oil for frying
5 flour tortillas, cut into thin strips
1 cup crushed corn bread stuffing mix
1 cup white or yellow corn
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, chopped (I used my orange and yellow peppers)
1/4 cup yellow onion, small dice
1-4oz. can of diced green chilies
1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 T chili powder
1 t coriander
1 t cumin
1/2 t red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 t dry sage
1/4 t salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cup chicken broth 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large skillet, fry corn tortillas in oil in batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour tortillas, about 2/3 of the fried corn tortillas, stuffing mix, corn, roasted peppers, onions, green chilies, cilantro, chili powder, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, sage, and salt and stir until well combined. Add beaten egg and chicken broth and mix well.  

Transfer to a greased baking dish (~13-in. x 9-in.). Sprinkle top with remaining fried corn tortillas.  Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 35-45 minutes. 

** Chicken Tortilla Casserole- a Main Dish Option: Make as directed above, but add 2 cups of shredded chicken and an additional 1/2 cup of corn. Top with Pepper Jack Cheese and bake as directed. Garnish with additional fried corn strips, avocado, salsa and/or sour cream. Serve along side a big green salad. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment