Saturday, December 7, 2013

Gingerbread Biscotti



Not everyone likes biscotti. It's usually hard and dry and not that sweet and I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of biscotti myself. But this recipe for Gingerbread Biscotti has just the right amount of sweetness and it's not as hard as most biscotti. The best part, is that it tastes like gingerbread! I found this recipe on Pinterest and as I scrolled down through similar pins I saw a picture of some gingerbread biscotti sprinkled with these mini gingerbread men. I gasped...literally gasped they were so cute! They were perfect for these biscotti and after seeing them, they completely ruined my original plan to decorate these guys! The gingerbread men were it! I had to have these little brown gingerbread men. I searched high and low for these little buggers and finally came across them at an awesome little Baking supply Store called Calico Cake Shop in Buena Park, CA. 



Talk about a goldmine for anything baking! I could have spent an entire day there, looking at all the baking supplies, sprinkles, icings, food colorings and everything you could imagine was at that store. I'm going to have to go in there more often just to get ideas on what to bake. So, if you like to bake and you are in Southern California, you need to see this store.You will LOVE it! 


I think these little gingerbread sprinkles completely make these biscotti into something special and perfect for the holidays. Merry Christmas! Enjoy!


Gingerbread Biscotti 
(recipe from Krissy's Creations)


1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 T baking powder
1 T ground ginger
3/4 T ground cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t salt
6 oz. white chocolate chips
1 T shortening

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.


In another bowl or stand mixer, mix together the oil, sugar, eggs and molasses. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture until fully incorporated. (Note: I added a bit more flour since my dough was extremely sticky. Add enough flour so that you can handle it fairly easily, although it will still be a bit sticky.


Remove the dough from the bowl or mixer and divide it into 2 disks. Flatten each disk until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Place the disks onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.



Remove the baked dough from the oven and let cool on the pan for about 10 minutes. Once the dough is cool enough to touch, cut into 1/2 inch slices and place the slices onto the baking sheet.

Bake the biscotti until it is thoroughly toasted and lightly browned, about 7 minutes on each side. Remove from oven and let cool completely.



Place the white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds and then stir. Heat 30 seconds and stir and repeat until chocolate is completely melted. Add the shortening and stir until it has melted and combined with the chocolate. 

Dip the biscotti in the chocolate and sprinkle with mini gingerbread men, Christmas sprinkles or cinnamon sugar. Place on parchment paper until chocolate is set. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I have a great gingerbread cookie recipie but I plan to bake gingerbread biscotti this Christmas. I purchased my gingerbread sprinkles last year $$ unknown. These sprinkles can be ordered online from Amazon and BuyCheaper.com. Both sites sell sizes ounces to pounds. These are adorable and a must to add to your baked goods decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are a must! Too cute not to have on hand. :) I'm already trying out other recipes so I can use them again. Share your recipe with me, I'd love to try it! :)

      Delete