Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Korean Beef with Broccoli


Ground beef is a staple in my house, from meatloaf, to spaghetti, to tacos, and meatballs. It's convenient, fairly inexpensive and basically my kids eat whatever I make when I cook with ground beef and this Korean Beef is no exception.  I was a bit unsure whether my kids would like this dish because of all the garlic and Asian flavors, but my worries were unfounded as they gobbled up this deliciously sweetened ground beef and even asked for seconds. The best part, second only to the incredible flavor, is that this dish literally can come together in less than 30 minutes. I made this on Monday night and it took me 25 minutes. The rice takes the most time. It's a super easy, weeknight meal, which is perfect during the holidays when time seems to be at a premium. The last thing you want to do is spend a lot of time in the kitchen or if you are on a tight budget like me, spend more money on takeout. Enjoy!


 

Korean Beef with Broccoli (slightly adapted recipe from Lizzy Writes)
Serves 5-6

2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup soy sauce, low sodium
2 T sesame oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 t ginger, minced
1-2 t red pepper flakes (omit for kid friendly version)
pepper to taste
1 bunch green onions chopped
sesame seeds for garnish

Steamed broccoli
Steamed rice

Brown ground beef with garlic and drain fat. Add sesame oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes (if desired) and pepper and let simmer to blend flavors ~10 minutes. I usually omit adding the red pepper flakes at this step so the kiddos will eat it. But I add the red pepper flakes afterward to my individual serving to my desired spiciness. It's really good when its spicy and sweet!!

Serve on top of rice, add broccoli and green onions. Garnish with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Delicious. I didn't have the sesame oil or sesame seeds (they'd gone rancid and I threw them out), but was nice without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. :) This is a staple meal in my house, second only to spaghetti. Yes, I also had trouble with my sesame oil and seeds going rancid when I stored them in the pantry. Now, I keep both in the refrigerator and they last quite a bit longer. Thank you so much for trying the recipe and for your comments. I love hearing from you. :)

      Delete