Friday, June 20, 2014

Zucchini Bruschetta with Goat Cheese, Honey & Lime


Today, I don't have anything thought provoking to blog about. I'm not wrestling with a worry or concern, which is a first really. It seems like I always have something to worry about or at least something to say about it. I guess if I really tried, I could come up with a few worries. But really? Worries are unproductive. What's the saying, Worrying is like praying for the worst. Nope, not going to do that today. Instead, I'll tell you about this surprising little appetizer that I made the other day. 
This summer, I'm on a kick to use zucchini as a main ingredient in various recipes. You might have already seen the Zucchini Ribbon Summer Salad I posted a few days ago. Well, this appetizer was my second attempt at using zucchini in a dish. And to be honest, I didn't expect them to be successful the first run through. Surprise! These were so good! I couldn't believe such a small piece of toast could pack that much flavor in a deliciously subtle way. I tasted each ingredient, from the lime, honey, salt, down to the creamy goat cheese mixture and the olive oil. Absolutely delicious and lite. My husband and I ate every last one of them for lunch that day. So give this easy appetizer a try next time you have company or make it on your favorite bread as a satisfying veggie sandwich. Enjoy!


Zucchini Bruschetta with Goat Cheese, Honey and Lime

3-4 small zucchini, 
4-6 small radishes, thinly sliced
4 T honey
zest and juice from one lime
kosher salt
cilantro leaves
4 oz goat cheese
4 oz cream cheese

Sliced baguettes
Olive oil

Using a vegetable peeler, shave off ribbons of zucchini and place in a medium sized bowl. Then add the thinly slice radishes. Set aside.

In a separate small bowl combine honey, lime zest, lime juice and salt and mix well so that honey is well combined with the lime juice. I used about 2 pinches of kosher salt. You want it to be mostly sweet with a little saltiness. It's best to err on the side of not enough salt than too much. You can always add more later. Add a few cilantro leaves and then pour the honey mixture over the zucchini and radishes. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes until the zucchini soften. Stir, taste and add more salt if needed. 

In another bowl, combine goat cheese and cream cheese, mix well and set aside.

Baste both sides of the sliced baguettes with a light coat of olive oil and grill both sides of bread until lightly toasted. Set aside. 

Top each baguette with the goat cheese mixture, zucchini ribbons and a few radishes and more cilantro leaves. Drizzle with additional honey lime sauce and Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment