Tuesday, June 17, 2014

White Corn and Cotija Dip


Starting the summer off right is like eating an appetizer to a really big meal. It has to be fulfilling, but not too filling because we still have the whole meal to eat. Likewise, if I pack too much summer fun up front, my boys will be bored by week two.

So with this summer philosophy in mind, on our first day of summer vacation we slept in late and did nothing all day. I allowed my kiddos to watch TV and play video games in their underwear, until they were cross-eyed and had leg cramps from being couch potatoes all day. *gasp* It's true and yes, I'm a bad mother. :) I figured it was the perfect way to ease into 3 months of lounging around...by lounging around. Plus, I really didn't feel like doing anything. I needed the break too. But like all good things, moderation is the key.

Father's day uprooted our backsides from the welcoming couch and led us to the beach for a day of fun in the sun. I packed a picnic, umbrellas, chairs, sand toys, towels, sunscreen, the whole works. Everything to make our day at the beach memorable and fun, and it was. The boys played in the ocean and dug in the sand for hours having a great time. My husband and I got to talk and laugh while watching our boys have fun. But just like the party-goer who shows up and makes a meal of the appetizers like they've skipped lunch, sometimes too much, too soon is a bad thing. 

My eight year old son, who wants to be a marine biologist when he grows up and who loves to be in the ocean, got stung by a stingray on his foot. Apparently he, along with 3 others that day, had stepped on one. Uh-oh! Party's over. 
He was in a lot of pain and treated by lifeguards but ultimately he was all right, just scared. While being treated, he was asked if he still wanted to be a marine biologist when he grew up and he said, "Yes. At least it wasn't a shark." It was a relief that he had such a great attitude about the stingray sting. I was worried he wouldn't want to come back to the beach this summer because of it. My son's actions reminded me that this day at the beach, with it's ups and downs, was just a small taste:an appetizer of sorts, that should leave us satisfied but anxious for the next course. Each building or harmonizing with one another so that the whole meal is not revealed until summers end. 
So, as I savor the flavors of each day, I look forward to the next course...let the summer fun begin!

White Corn and Cotija Dip (adapted recipe from the Minimalist Baker)

3 cups White Corn (3-4 ears)
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup crema centroamericana (or regular sour cream)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (or 4 oz cream cheese)
1 cup Cotija Cheese, crumbled (plus extra for the top)
Sprinkle of cayenne (optional)
Green onions, sliced as garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a small fry pan, add oil and garlic and shallots and saute briefly, approximately 3 minutes. Turn off heat.

In a medium bowl, add corn, red bell peppers, the sauteed garlic and shallots and mix together. Add sour cream, mayonnaise and cotija cheese and mix well. Spray small casserole dish with cooking spray and add dip to prepared dish. Sprinkle top with cayenne pepper and bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes. 

Serve with sliced baguettes or tortilla chips. Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment