Saturday, June 28, 2014

Veggie Sandwiches with Black Bean Hummus & Sunflower Sprouts


During our trip to San Luis Obispo over Spring Break, I ordered a veggie sandwich from the Old Custom House Restaurant in Avila Beach. You're probably thinking...veggie sandwich? Why not just order a salad? In a way, I guess I could argue that this is a salad between to rather large croutons. :) But, not just my love of veggies was at work when it came to ordering this sandwich. The decision was made when I saw that it had sunflower sprouts on it. I was so excited because I love sunflower sprouts! They are my favorite sprout. They taste like green sunflower seeds. They are so delicious but hard to find in groceries stores, let alone something you find in restaurants. I ordered it and I was glad I did, not only was the sandwich utterly delicious but it inspired me to try a version of it here at home.

Sunflower sprouts are hard to find, so I just grow my own. (Sprouts Market used to sell them but the last time I went there they didn't have any,,,bummer) The good news is that sprouts are super easy to grow. Plant sunflower seeds in a shallow pot, keep the soil moist and in two weeks you'll have beautiful sunflower sprouts. You don't even need a garden, they will grow nicely on your kitchen counter all year round. Once they sprout, cut, wash and use them in salads and sandwiches or eat them all by themselves. They taste like sunflower seeds but only in vegetable form. Unused sprouts can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week or so. I used them here along with some clover sprouts in my version of the Old Custom House Veggie Sandwich. 
The restaurant's version had red bell pepper hummus and huge slices of red onion, where I opted for my spicy black bean hummus and pickled onions. I love the sweet tang of the pickled onions, they really make the sandwich stand out along with the Latin spiced hummus. And of course the fresh green nutty flavor of the sprouts...just delicious! Enjoy!
Veggie Sandwiches with Black Bean Hummus & Sunflower Sprouts

Black Bean Hummus
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Pickled Onions
Avocados
Sunflower and Clover Sprouts
Spinach
Whole grain wheat bread, toasted

Layer ingredients on toasted wheat bread and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment