Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Easy Tuna Ceviche in Avocado Cups

Although I'm still working on some of my Halloween recipes and decorating ideas, I'm switching gears from Halloween to cool summer salads and easy to prepare meals. We're smack dab in the middle of summer and the heat is relentless and I find myself in the kitchen only momentarily after being out and about with the kids all day. I have little energy or desire to cook. I'm sure I am not alone. I've been serving up the usual summer fare, burgers and chicken and dogs...last night, I made turkey tacos. Easy and unimaginative, but it gets the family fed. Anyway, this summer has been busy and now we are in the midst of some home repairs that will leave us in disarray for about a week which also doesn't lend to wanting to cook either. So, I was desperate to find recipes that were easy and yummy and I remembered an old recipe from my dear friend Suzette. She brought this dish years ago to a party and it was not only delicious but a wonderful idea using canned tuna. Try it and I promise you'll never want a tuna sandwich again!  Happy Summer!


Easy Tuna Ceviche in Avocado Cups

Serves 8 (slightly adapted recipe from Suzette Pedrin)

2 cans Albacore Tuna in water, drained
2 cans Light Tuna in water, drained
1-2 Serrano peppers, finely diced
1 bunch green onions
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 large tomato, diced
5-6 limes, juice & zest of two limes
1 t. garlic powder 
salt and lemon pepper (to taste)
8 small avocados, halved
16 tostada shells

Refrigerate the tuna with lime juice for one hour. Drain leaving some lime juice behind. Add veggies and seasonings and mix. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Add more lime as needed before serving.  Cut avocados in half and fill each half with tuna ceviche. 

To serve, use a spoon to scoop out the avocado and smash on tostada shells, top with Tapatio or Cholula hot sauce. Enjoy! 


 Other recipes to try:
Kale Salad with Strawberry Mango Salsa
Grilled Halibut Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment