Thursday, August 11, 2016

Open-faced Caprese Sandwiches


Getting a local Farmers Market in our small suburban city a few months ago was awesome in and of itself but to have it within walking distance from my home... Priceless! I make a trip every Saturday (okay...maybe every other Saturday) to pick up my favorites like broccoli, asparagus, and summer fruit for the kidsBut for me, the best part about farmer's markets is finding new, fun ingredients and products from small, local businesses to try. I fill up my bag with luscious vegetables, savory sauces, and loaves of artisan bread and stroll home dreaming of what to make with all these treasures. I call it #playingwithfood on my Instagram page


During my last trip, my friend Rob from Arising Dough asked me to sample his new Pesto Bread. I was honored to try it and let me tell you... it was delicious and full of basil flavor with sunflower seed kernels that gave it a surprising nuttiness and whole grain feel. I could just imagine it being turned into a gooey, cheesy, pesto garlic bread, or savory croutons for soups and salads, and of course the countless sandwiches one could make with this delicious savory bread. I asked if he had any more that I could buy and he gave me the rest of his sample loaf to play around with.

Pairing this pesto bread with some gorgeous heirloom tomatoes and some fresh basil from my garden, I made these open-faced Caprese Sandwiches...or, I guess I could've called them just plain ol' Bruschetta since that's basically what they are, except meal size. Starting with big slices of grilled pesto artisan bread, sprinkled with a aged goat cheese and topped with chopped heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, garlic and basil and a splash of balsamic makes a delicious light lunch paired with plenty of summer heat and lime infused ice water! Enjoy!

Open-faced Caprese Sandwiches

Serves 2

2 large heirloom tomatoes, chopped
1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
2-3 T fresh basil, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 T olive oil
splash of balsamic vinegar



4 slices of artisan bread of your choice (I used Pesto Bread from Arising Dough)
Butter or olive oil for pan frying
Sprinkle of aged goat cheese (I used Achadinha's Capricious) substitute with a hard aged cheese i.e.Parmesan Reggiano)
kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper (to taste)

Prepare vegetables and mix first 6 ingredients together. Set aside. 



Butter bread and pan fry until golden brown on each side. Grate aged goat cheese over hot bread and remove from heat. Top toasts with Caprese and additional basil and fresh ground pepper. Enjoy!




Other recipes to try: 
                   Zucchini Bruschetta            Caprese Salad with Pesto Vinaigrette

No comments:

Post a Comment