Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Valentine Peppermints


Sometimes you just have to indulge in something fabulous and fun, like these Valentine Peppermints. A few years ago, I made these peppermint patties for Halloween with my friend, Neidin. We made them into pumpkin shapes with a gorgeous candy corn layering inside. Check out the blog post here. They were absolutely stunning and the kids loved them, especially Adam, my youngest son. He's my sweet tooth kiddo; Lover of anything and everything with sugar! Well, the other day Adam asked me if I could make them again. Being on the cusp of February, I decided to make them into Valentine Hearts with cupid inspired pink, red, and white layers on the inside and chocolatey goodness on the outside...with sprinkles too!

These are pretty simple to make if you are well versed in melting chocolate. From numerous discussions with my friends, who apparently have no problems with the stuff, I've decided that I'm clearly doing something wrong. I went through two bags of chocolate before I got it to coat right and then I couldn't get the darn mint off my fork! These mints were a bit stickier than the last ones I made and I'm going to chalk it up to the cold weather or I needed to add more powdered sugar. Something...Who knows? Anyhoo, I finally got the chocolate to work with lots of frustration and cuss words and trips to the store!  
Voila! 
Now I'm ready to box up these chocolates for my loving sons with a message that reads, "You are as beautiful on the inside as well as outside! "

Happy Valentine's day!



Valentine Peppermints 

(recipe from HGTV


Makes ~14, 1-inch patties

3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/4 Tbsp light corn syrup
2 1/4 Tbsp water
1 tsp pure peppermint extract
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable shortening
pinch of salt
red gel food coloring (I used Wilton)
15 oz. melting chocolate

Add powdered sugar, corn syrup, water, peppermint extract, shortening and a pinch of salt in a stand mixer and mix until just combined. Knead on a work surface dusted with powdered sugar until smooth.
Divide dough into thirds. Add a small amount of the red food coloring to one of the balls of dough to make a light pink. Add 1/2 t of red gel food coloring to another ball of dough and continue to add until it is a deep red. Leaving the last one white.
Roll out each dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Make sure they are even thickness and similar in shape. Stack the layers on parchment paper, starting with pink, red and then finally white. Cover top with another piece of parchment and refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Using a 1" heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out mints and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place cut patties back into the refrigerator to chill.


Melt chocolate according to package directions and then begin to dip each patty into the chocolate and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.  Store in cool place, layered between wax paper. Enjoy!


Other recipes to try:
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
Pancetta and Onion Tartlets
Red Velvet Brownies


 

No comments:

Post a Comment