Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Lamb Kabobs with Yogurt Garlic Sauce and Mint


Happy New Year everyone! I am so glad it's a new year! I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that 2016 definitely had its challenges. And as with each new year, I find myself looking forward to a fresh start. A time to shrug off the old year and embrace the potential of the new. I like to use this time of year for self-reflection and focus on renewal. It's another chance to try something different, make lists, set goals and get stuff done. 
But, before I plow headlong into 2017, I need to remind myself of the good that happened this last year. More times than I'd like to admit, I tend to focus on the negative and forget that the negative always comes with a dose of positive. And only through deliberate hindsight is it visible to me.  I won't recite a long list of blessings or things that I'm thankful for here, I'll reserve that for my journal. But one thing I'm thankful for this past year, was being able to take the Professional Chef series at Chef Tech Cooking School these last 4 months. I've learned so much and can't wait to apply what I've learned as I develop my recipes and share them with you on the blog. 
Here's my meatball rendition of Chef Teri's Grilled Lamb Kabobs. I absolutely love meatballs so I made her recipe into these immensely flavorful and comforting bite-sized kabobs. Perfect for entertaining or a small plate meal. 

Here's to another year of accomplishments and the challenges that lie ahead. 
Happy New Year! 

Grilled Lamb Kabobs with Yogurt Garlic Sauce

(Slightly adapted recipe from Teri Appleton Villanueva)

Makes ~12 Main Dish Kabobs or 48 Appetizer Kabobs


Yogurt Garlic Sauce
1 cup plain whole Greek yogurt
2 Tbs. lemon juice or orange juice
2 Tbs. tahini
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt

Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.

Kabobs
1/2 cup pine nuts
4-5 garlic cloves
2 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cayenne (add more for more heat)
1 1/2 lbs. ground lamb
1/2 cup grated onion, drained
1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/3 cup fresh mint, minced
1 1/2 tsp. unflavored gelatin

12 Naan bread or 6 Greek style pita bread cut into 2" rounds
Fresh mint, finely chopped (garnish)

Process pine nuts, garlic, paprika, salt, cumin, black pepper, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cayenne in a food processor until a coarse paste forms, 30-45 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl. Add lamb, onion, parsley, mint, and gelatin: knead until combined and mixture feels sticky, about 2 minutes. 
For Appetizer kabobs: Cut Greek style pita bread into 2" rounds using a small cookie or biscuit cutter and arrange on a large platter. Portion meat using a small cookie scoop and roll meat into 1" meatballs. Pan fry in small batches until browned on all sides. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of yogurt garlic sauce onto pita rounds and top with a skewered lamb meatball and garnish with fresh mint. Enjoy!

For Main Dish kabobs, divide into 12 equal portions. Shape each portion into 5-inch long cylinder about 1 inch in diameter. Using skewers to thread kabobs, gently pressing to adhere. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 24 hours. 
Grill for 4-7 minutes, flip skewers and continue to cook until browned on second side and meat registers to 160 degrees, about 6 minutes more.
Transfer to platter and serve with Naan Bread and drizzle with yogurt garlic sauce.


Other Meatball recipes:

Salisbury Meatballs
Greek Meatballs
Spicy Asian Meatball Soup
Albondigas with Chimichurri Pesto

No comments:

Post a Comment