Saturday, June 17, 2017

Strawberry Mango Summer Salad

School's out and summer begins! Every year I feel the same way. First, I feel relief. Relief from the daily grind of getting my boys up for school. NO more making rushed breakfast and lunches, running forgotten badges, lunches, violins or trumpets to school, field trips, basketball practices and games, playdates...HOMEWORK! Second, I feel hopeful. Hopeful that this summer will be a relaxing and fun time with my boys. If history is any gauge, after about a week, I'll be wishing for school to start as I listen to the daily complaints of..."I'm bored!" and the constant bickering between the two of them. I want this summer to be different. I want to take it as it comes. The good and the bad and not let their moods get to me. I don't want to feel pressure to alleviate their boredom. I want to just live in the moment and savor these days with them as I know, far too soon, they will be grown and begin directing their own lives and I'll look back at these days with longing for what used to be. For today, and every day this summer, I will be grateful that I am able to be home with them, to be involved with their lives. Grateful that I know their friends and for the amazing parents I've become friends with along the way.
To kick off my grateful summer, I made this Strawberry Mango Salad that's cool, crisp, crunchy, sweet, juicy and oh so refreshing for those hot summer days. Strawberry. Mango and Orange lend all the sweetness, with crunchy jicama and cool cucumber to add texture and interest. Top it all off with plenty of lime and orange zest and juice and lots of cilantro salt and cayenne to give it a little heat on the finish! It's summer in every bite. Not to mention, this salad is stunningly beautiful with the bright cheery colors of summer. Happy Summer everyone!

Credit: This is a copycat recipe of Teri Appleton Villanueva's delicious Strawberry Mango Jicama Salad. I had this a few weeks back when I assisted her with a cooking class. :)


Strawberry Mango Summer Salad

Serves 8-10

3-4 mangoes, peeled and diced
2 lbs. strawberries, chopped
1 small jicama, peeled and diced
3-4 large oranges, segmented and chopped
1 English cucumber, seeded and diced

Dressing
1/2 cup lime juice and zest of one lime
juice and zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1/8 cup honey (to taste)
salt (to taste)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste) 

Prepare all fruit and combine in a large bowl. In another small bowl, add cilantro, juices and zests, honey, salt and cayenne to taste. Add dressing to fruit and mix. Taste, add additional lime juice, salt, cayenne and honey to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy!


Other recipes to try:

Summer Fruit Salad with Ginger and Lime
Kale Salad with Strawberry Mango Salsa
Caprese Salad with Pesto Viniagrette

No comments:

Post a Comment