Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pickled Onions

Pickled onions? Eew! Or at least that's what my kids say. They're still too young to appreciate pickled vegetables outside of cucumbers. That's okay though because that means there's more for me and my husband.
I was inspired to make some pickled onions after I had the most amazing slider in the history of hamburgers a few weeks ago. I ordered some Pan Seared Chicken Sliders from a local food truck called Belly BombZ where one of the key ingredients on this slider was pickled onions along with a few other yummy ingredients! I'm craving them now as I type. They were so incredibly delicious that I had to try to make a copycat version of them at home.  In my homemade attempt to recreate these delicious sliders, I first had to make some pickled onions. I remembered seeing this easy recipe for Pickled Shallots on Pinterest from one of my favorite blogs, The Cutting Edge of Ordinary. I made some with red onions rather than shallots since that's what I had on hand, and recently made the shallots too. 
Instead of a big fancy dinner for New Years Eve, this year I'm making a copycat version of Belly BombZ's Chicken Sliders. I'll blog my copycat version of the Chicken Sliders recipe on New Years Day but here's the first step, pickling onions. Enjoy!

Pickled Onions (recipe from The Cutting Edge of Ordinary)
(makes 1-16 oz jar)

1 1/2 cup red onions, sliced (~2 medium red onions)
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
2 T kosher salt (I used canning salt)
1/4 t red pepper flakes

Sterilize canning jars, lids and rings and set aside. Slice onions and place into canning jars. Stack the rings in layers like this.

 
Add water, vinegar, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes and then pour hot pickling liquid into the onion filled jars and fill to the top. Place lids and rings over filled jars and hand tighten. Let cool to room temperature and store in the refrigerator. Let them pickle in the fridge for 2-3 days and Enjoy!

Note: These are not canned, only quick pickled so these must be stored in the fridge.

These are great on hamburgers, sandwiches and salads or a great addition to an appetizer cheese plate. Enjoy!

Other pickling recipes to try:
Quick Pickled Jalapenos and Radishes
Dill Pickles
Looking for another onion recipe to try, these are delicious.
Parmesan Creamed Onions 




Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment