Thursday, March 14, 2013

Rice Veracruz


I got this recipe from one of my favorite cooking magazines, Cuisine at Home. If you've never heard of it or never seen one, this magazine has no advertising whatsoever, only cooking info, recipes and how-to's. You don't have to turn through 15 pages of ads to finally get to what you want to see or read. It comes already three-hole punched so I just pop it into my Cuisine at Home binders. I love this magazine because it has restaurant style cuisine that you can make at home. It uses easy to find ingredients and the recipes have great pictures and always tastes great. It also has a ton of helpful tips and tricks submitted by readers which are just genius. Did I mention that I really love this magazine. If you get a chance to pick up  a copy at the newsstand, I guarantee that you'll  want a yearly subscription afterward. It's just that good.

Here's a picture of the June 2008 issue I pulled this Rice Veracruz recipe out of.

 
I love everything about this rice dish but especially the olives and capers. They add that little bit of saltiness that complements the peppers and tomatoes. And just for the record, my kiddos don't like this rice dish. They say, "What's that green stuff?" I don't fight them on this one, I realize there's a lot going on in this dish. But, I tell myself that they'll appreciate it more when they get older and I can only expose them to different foods. Most times they'll try them but sometimes they don't and this one didn't get past the 'look-see' for obvious reasons. However, this rice dish is really delicious and goes well with just about anything grilled. A Great recipe for summer or anytime.  Hope you enjoy it!


Rice Veracruz (from Cuisine at Home, June 2008)
Makes about 4 cups
  • 1 cup dry converted rice
  • chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup each of onion, red bell pepper, poblano, diced
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 T garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 t paprika(I used smoked paprika)
  • 1 cup tomatoes, seeded, diced
  • 1/2 cup pimento stuffed green olives, sliced
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 T capers, rinsed
  • salt and pepper to taste
Cook rice according to package directions, but substitute chicken broth for the water.
Saute onion, bell pepper and poblano in oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes, then add garlic and paprika. Saute an additional minute.
Turn heat off and stir in cooked rice and remaining ingredients.
Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment