Saturday, February 2, 2013

Sunflower Sprout Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette




Have you ever had sunflower sprouts? Me either. That is, until I stumbled upon them last Spring at a farmers market in La Quinta, CA. I love to buy fresh vegetables from farmers markets and I love even more to find fun new ingredients to build a salad around. And that's exactly what I did with this new and exciting ingredient. If you've never tasted sunflower sprouts, they basically taste like green sunflower seeds and they add a wonderful new taste to salads. I've had other sprouts like alfalfa sprouts and wheat grass and to me both taste like dirt and grass. Sunflower sprouts don't taste anything like dirt or grass and are simply so delicious and possibly the best tasting sprout around (in my opinion). Just like all sprouts, sunflower sprouts are very nutritious and unlike adding sunflower seeds, the sprout has all the flavor and nutrients without fat and calories. What's not to love, right?

Returning from La Quinta, I brought home the leftovers of my super secret yummy ingredient and wanted to be able to get some locally. Sprouts Market carries them for about $3 for just a few ounces. Instead of buying them, I decided to grow my own. I grew a small envelope of sunflower seeds (cost me ~$1.50) which is enough for one or two salads and since the seeds germinate in 7-10 days, you can easily start a new batch a week or so before you plan to make this salad. This is the perfect Spring and Summer salad but you can have it year round by sowing the seeds indoors. 

I saved these two little sprouts to transplant and grow into full sunflowers so I can harvest the seeds for more sprouts and also to roast some seeds for my kiddos.



You will have to pull off some of the seed shells from the sprouts. Truth be told...I was a bit anxious to make this salad and I picked the sprouts a day too early. Most of these shells would have worked their way off as the sprout grew. Nonetheless the sprouts still tasted yummy, they just weren't as pretty as the ones I got from La Quinta. See below. Just beautiful aren't they?


Okay, now on to the salad...

Assemble your ingredients:



Sunflower Sprout Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
Serves 4
  • Mixed baby greens
  • Sunflower sprouts (about 1/2 cup)
  • small bunch of green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 small Persian cucumber, sliced
  • 1 cup strawberries, quartered
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (optional)

Strawberry Vinaigrette
  • 5-6 strawberries, quartered
  • 2 Tbsp agave sweetener (or honey)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • dash of cayenne pepper (to taste, I added ~1/8 tsp)
  • Sea salt and pepper(to taste)
Place strawberries, agave sweetener, oil and vinegars and cayenne in a mini food processor and process until strawberries are pureed and oil is emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Toss together salad ingredients in a large bowl and add Strawberry Vinaigrette or serve on the side.

Add crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese if desired. (not pictured)


2 comments:

  1. Nate told me about this after you mentioned it to him. I want to make it! With growing your own sprouts, how many would you get out of one packet? Im looking to make about 7-8 salads for a gathering. Should i use two packets? Because id rather grow my own as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anjie, I would grow two seed packets. I got mine from Home Depot and they had a lot of seeds in them, but you can always refrigerate the sprouts you don't use for up to a week or so. Also if you are in a pinch time-wise, Sprouts Market has them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete