Saturday, November 3, 2018

Halloween Decorating 2018

The inspiration for my Halloween food and decorating this year was the color purple. This summer as I began to plan my Halloween dishes, I found myself being drawn to purple carrots, purple cauliflower, purple potatoes and gorgeous figs. The vivid color made them perfect for easy Halloween dishes;All they needed was a good recipe and some fun plating...Instant Halloween food! See what I mean...check out these gorgeous veggies.
Roasted Zombie Brain
Alien Pod Salad
Abracadabra Platter
Toil and Trouble Soup
Roots of All Evil
After making these mystical dishes, inspiration carried over into decorating the heart of my home, the dining room. I wanted to create a table that was almost entirely black with linens and plates accented with spots of amethyst, and it turned out better than I imagined. Isn't it just gorgeous? I think its my favorite table so far.
 
This table setting may look expensive, but it's not. Like all my decorating, I decorate on a shoestring budget. I had the black plates and bowls from a few years ago from The 99cents Only Store $12. I picked up the skeleton hands, skull tealights and the black skulls, totaling about $15. The purple goblets, I picked up on summer clearance at Michael's a few years ago for $0.40 each, for a cost of $2.40...and believe it or not, the goblets are plastic!
I made the centerpiece with some large purple flowers from Hobby Lobby. They were 50% off so I bought 4 bouquets of them and added some black roses and foliage and darker violet foliage until I liked the way it looked. I used the same flowers and foliage along with a lightweight black plastic skull from The 99 to make a matching wreath. I hung it on my door to get a good picture of it, but moved it into the dining room to complete the look. Honestly, I wish I had made two of them. 
The sideboard is decorated with black and grey pumpkins with floral accents. The two candelabras, I bought at Michael's with a 50% off coupon. I bought them early so unfortunately they weren't marked down so I spent a total of $35 for 2.
Here's an overhead shot of the table at night...absolutely stunning!
I carried the purple and black theme into my living room bookcase, using the skeleton hands, black and purple pumpkins, skulls and floral accents. 


In the last picture, I re-purposed an old Christmas wreath transforming the red berries to black berries with a few coats of black spray paint. I really love this wreath and I've decided to keep it up all year long. :)
So that it for my Halloween decorating for this year. I'm already planning my color scheme for next year and have some really fun ideas that I'm anxious to share with you. In the meantime, watch out for my fall decorating coming soon.

Other Halloween Decorating Ideas:

Halloween 2017
Halloween 2016
Halloween 2015

Halloween 2014
Halloween 2013

2 comments:

  1. Can you tell me where you found the skeleton photos! They are awesome! They look like they are canvas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dear Diary, Believe it or not I got those at the 99cents only store last year. They also light up by a small switch on the side. I haven't seen these specific ones this year however, but I'm sure you can find them online. Happy Halloween!

      Delete